Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Being Hooman

If you say you know me, you also know my obsession with cats. I've grown up with them. In fact in my childhood, I might have talked more to cats than I talked to hoomans. I couldn't understand why people disliked cats or why they were scared of them. I had scratch marks all over my body (it wasn't very different with my parents and my brother) because they either bit me or scratched me while playing with them (or trying to pick them up without their consent), but still went back to them like nothing happened. There were times when the house was full of kittens that I remember taking a roll call  to see if everyone was safely back in the house by the end of the day. There were football matches. There were missing decorations on the Christmas tree. There were constant meows in the wee hours of the night. There was cuddling, purring, and them making biscuits. There was them bravely fighting a snake in our frontyard. There was one who liked to hunt cranes from the  river nearby. There was also the pain of losing a number of them together to a viral infection. There was Tazzy who I called my younger brother, and most sad to leave behind at home when I left for Hyderabad.

But there is a late (or it's never too late, is it?) realisation than dawned on me recently. I used to like only OUR cats. Not the neighbour's cats. Not the strays. This was mostly because the tomcats used to fight each other or the strays killed our kittens or something of the sort. But this stage has surpassed, thankfully. I do occassionally dislike somecats, but I do make an effort to like all of them now (animals in general, but I also like to eat them. So I'm torn, sorry.) — cute or not, mine or someone else's or homeless. Like how it should be. But I've also learned to give humans the higher priority. 

So what I'm saying is, I might be a cat person. But it doesn't mean I'm not a dog person. Much like how I'm a fruit person, but occasionally enjoy eating chocolates.

Okay, bye.

P.S. This is Mr.Cuteface, a friend's neighbour. We've secretly named him Crookshanks. Because hey, look at his face. :D 

No comments:

Post a Comment